Sunday 22 August 2010

Tolethorpe - Teens

After speaking to Carol King, i managed to secure some time to talk to some of the students that now participate at Tolethorpe. I was looking forward to this because i wanted the chance to talk to some students to actually see what they thought of their experience. I spoke to 3 students in total, Justine, Claire and Gemma. Justine is 9, Claire 15 and Gemma 18.

Interview with Justine:

When did you start at Tolethorpe?

I have been here for about 2 years now.

And do you enjoy coming?

I really enjoy coming. It gives me something to look forward to at the weekends, and i have made a lot of friends here.

How are you finding studying Shakespeare?

I love doing his plays. They are really fun and its something completely different to just doing a normal play. We get to do them as well but i really like doing Shakespeare because i haven't done anything like this at school before.

Do you find it easy to relate to Shakespeare?

I found it hard at first because i didn't understand the language and what the words meant and we weren't taught what they meant. But then when you start acting the plays everything seems to make sense.

What's the hardest thing you've had to do with Shakespeare?

Well i think its the language. I find it quite hard to learn, performing the plays isn't difficult its just remembering all his big words.






Interview with Claire:

When did you start coming to Tolethorpe?

I have been coming since i was 10.

And do you enjoy coming?

yes, i love it. Especially now i'm older because i get to get involved with the main plays that are performed in the summer.

How are you finding studying Shakespeare?

I think i used to find it quite hard. I'd never been taught about him properly and i was a bit of a shock trying to understand all his words and what they meant. But now, i think because i have been studying him for so long i find it all easy. I am also really familiar with all his plays now.

What's your favorite play?

I think it would have to be MacBeth. I love the story and i love the atmosphere that is created. its so complicated and i really like understanding it.

Do you find it easy to relate to Shakespeare?

Yes and no. I understand his characters and i find them quite easy to relate to. but i remember that i used to hate performing his characters because i could never get my head around what they were talking about! now it is a lot easier, but it was a struggle.

What's the hardest thing you've had to do with Shakespeare?

Learning big speeches. Its so easy to get confused and then you can completely freeze up and forget all the words. And you kind of have to go back to the beginning to get your head around it again.




Interview with Gemma:

How long have you been coming to Tolethorpe?

I've been coming here for a couple of years.

And are you enjoying it?

Yea i really am. The reason i started coming was because i was doing english A level and i wanted to understand language a bit more. And i thought who better to teach me about language than Shakespeare!

How are you finding studying Shakespeare?

Really interesting. Theres something you just cant get from reading his scripts, you have to perform them in order to really understand the true nature of what Shakespeare wanted to achieve. it has really opened my mind to him and language and helped me alot in regards to studying english.

Do you find it easy to relate to Shakespeare?

I defiantly do now. I didn't before because my knowledge was so lacking but now i can confidently perform his pieces and not be scared about what im saying or doing. It is like performing and alien language and then you do just slip into it.

What's the hardest thing you've had to do with Shakespeare?

For me personally i think it was writing essays on him and what he meant by certain things. Before i came here i didn't really have a good view to talk about him but now i really do and i can understand what he wanted to say and do which has helped broaden my mind and vocabulary as well. I really love studying Shakespeare you get something out of which is so different to studying say maths or science. This is our history and i'm proud of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment